Yes we’re talking so soon about strawberries again, because again I bought way too many! I just can’t help myself when I see that $0.99 sign!
Today I want to share with you these super yummy strawberry crumble bars. Not only are they delicious, but aren’t they just down right pretty? I think so.
Before we get any further, I just want to tell those of you who are reading along right now and want to try these but don’t have strawberries not to fear. Just like my Strawberry Ice Cream, you can substitute other fruits. These would be absolutely delicious with blackberries or peaches. RASPBERRIES! Try this recipe with raspberries! I mean who doesn’t like raspberries? Play around with the extracts too. I wouldn’t necessarily pair almond extract with all fruits but try something else. Come up with your own flavor combinations. If you don’t try it you’ll never know. If what you try doesn’t come out just right, oh well, try again. It happens to everyone.
Alright back to the recipe.
Here’s your shopping list:
granulated sugar – baking powder – all-purpose flour – salt – butter – egg – vanilla extract – almond extract – strawberries – corn starch
Preheat your oven to 375. Chop up your strawberries. I like to chop mine up to about the size of a hazelnut. Mix the strawberries and the 1/4 cup of sugar and cornstarch together and set it aside.
Mix the 1/2 cup sugar, flour, baking powder and salt together. Add the egg and extracts, cut in the butter.
Press about 3/4 of the flour and sugar mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 9×9 pan (if you only have an 8×8 that is absolutely fine to use).
Pour the strawberry mixture over the top, don’t leave any of those juices behind!
Top with the remaining crust mixture.
Bake for 45 minutes at 375. Let cool and enjoy.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 stick butter, cold
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Chop strawberries and mix with the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of sugar and set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in the egg and extracts. Cut in the butter.
- Press 3/4 of the crust mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 9x9 pan.
- Pour over the strawberries, including any juices left in the bowl.
- Sprinkle with the remaining crust mixture.
- Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes or until just slightly golden brown.
- Let cool before cutting into squares.
- If you do not have a 9x9 pan you can use an 8x8 pan.