I love stuffed peppers.
My hubby has never been wowed by ones that I’ve made in the past.
I took a completely different approach this time.
Guess what? They were delicious!
And…the hubby loved them. He said he wished that I had made more!
Back to why I love stuffed peppers.
They come together pretty quickly.
You can put anything in a pepper and toss it in the oven.
Oh and it’s a good make ahead meal. This was another meal that I was able to put together during nap time and then all that left is to bake them when it’s getting close to dinner time.
This recipe just uses panty ingredients which makes it that much better.
Sausage. Onion. Celery. Quinoa. Diced tomatoes. Frozen kale. Salt. Pepper. Onion powder. Oregano. Paprika. Peppers.
See how easy is that?
Here’s how I did it.
Cut the peppers length wise, scoop out the seeds and let them simmer in water for about 10 minutes. Take the sausage out of the casing and sauté until cooked thru. Dice up the onions and celery and sauté them for just a few minutes. Cook quinoa according to the package.
Toss the canned tomatoes and frozen kale into a large bowl. Once the sausage, veggies and quinoa are done those get added to the bowl too.
Season and stuff the peppers. Bake.
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 Mediterranean chicken sausages
- half of a medium onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen chopped kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. paprika
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut bell peppers lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and let simmer in water for 10 minutes.
- Cook the quinoa according to the package directions.
- Take the sausage out of the casing and sauté until cooked thru.
- Dice the onion and celery and sauté in a little bit of olive oil for 7-10 minutes.
- Place the frozen kale and can of diced tomatoes into a large bowl.
- Add the sautéed onions and celery, the cooked sausage and the cooked quinoa.
- Season with onion powder, oregano and paprika.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir until all ingredients are combined well.
- Stuff the peppers.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Top with grated parmesan cheese.
- Can't find Mediterranean chicken sausage? Use any kind of sausage you like.