I love eggs. Any way they are prepared. My husband loves eggs too. We usually have them at least once over the weekend for breakfast. Sometimes we make them for dinner too.
I was trying to come up with some new ways of preparing eggs at home, instead of always doing the same thing.
I love foods that come in little packages, so that is what I tried to do here with eggs.
This is another one of those recipes that you can pretty much throw anything in to the bowl and they will come out delicious. Leftover vegetables from last night’s dinner would be wonderful to use….and it would make this dish come together faster because the vegetables would already be cooked.
This comes together quickly even without those leftover veggies. You could even prepare the vegetables the night before so you can hit that snooze button one more time!
I chose to use pork breakfast sausage, bacon would be delicious too. Or leave out the meat entirely and make it all veggies. I tossed in some spinach, but kale would be wonderful as well. I would suggest to use frozen chopped kale. Broccoli is delicious in these little egg cups.
These only take about twenty minutes to bake in the oven and I would say you could feed four people. Unless of course you live in my house then it’s only enough food for two people because my husband has a very healthy appetite. I don’t know how he stays so thin. I am amazed at the amount of food that man can eat.
All you need to do for these little egg cups is to cook the sausage for a few minutes, then toss in your veggies (unless you are using leftovers). Let everything cook for a few more minutes until the sausage is cooked. Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool.
In the meantime, crack eight eggs into a large measuring cup, I used a 4 cup measure (it makes getting the egg mixture into the muffin tin easier). Whisk up those eggs, add in the sausage and veggies season with salt and pepper and pour the mixture into a greased muffin tin.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the eggs are just set and that’s all it takes.
- 1/3 pound pork breakfast sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 small bell pepper, diced
- 2 large button mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 8 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook sausage in skillet on medium heat for five minutes.
- Add in the diced onion, bell pepper and mushroom.
- Continue to cook the sausage and vegetables until the sausage is completely cooked and the vegetables have softened. Toss in the frozen spinach and cook for an additional minute.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Crack eight eggs into a large measuring cup and whisk.
- Add in the cooled sausage and vegetable mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into a greased muffin tin, filling each cup 3/4 full.
- Place in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the eggs are just set.
- Leave out the meat to make this a vegetarian friendly meal.
- Substitute bacon for the sausage.
- Use any vegetable that you favor.