Nothing says the holidays like a big bowl of these candied pecans. They are so delicious and always a hit. I love making these for the holidays and bringing them to share whenever we are invited to a holiday party.
I always have a holiday cookie tin full of these sitting on the counter in my kitchen. In the words of my husband, “these are like crack.” They really are. You can’t eat just one or two, or ten or twenty. Oh no. I can’t keep my hands out of the cookie tin! I’ll gab a handful and tell myself that’s all I get for the day. I mean they are pecans covered in sugar after all! Well that never works. I go back to that cookie tin and grab just a few this time. That doesn’t work either. Twenty minutes later I’m back again. Well, you get the idea. I’m just fooling myself because every handful I grab is five more minutes on the elliptical! Now that’s not fun.
Every time I make these candied pecans, I make a double batch. I’m always on the lookout for when the pecan halves go on sale at the grocery store, they do tend to be pretty pricey. When they do go on sale I always stock up because I make these delicious addicting little treats all throughout the holiday season.
These candied pecans are such a cinch to make and OMG! do they make your house smell delicious! I love to start making them when my husband is on his way home from work, so when he walks in the door he is hit in the face with the wonderful aroma!
I hope these candied pecans become part of your holiday baking list like they have mine!
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 pounds pecan halves
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 250. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, whip together the egg whites and vanilla until the mixture becomes frothy.
- In a separate bowl combine the sugars, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the pecans to the egg white and vanilla mixture and stir until the pecans are coated with the mixture.
- Toss the pecans into the sugar mixture and stir until the pecans are coated evenly.
- Spread the nuts on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 250 for 1 hour and 10 minutes, stirring about every fifteen minutes.
- If you don't have a large baking sheet, you can use two standard size baking sheets.