I love a good granola. I always have it on hand at home. I’m a big fan of yogurt parfaits.
You can find some pretty good granola at the store but why not make it yourself? It’s so easy and you can control what goes into it. Have you looked at some of the labels at the store? Half the time I can’t even pronounce the ingredients. That’s why I make my own.
Another great thing about making granola yourself…..you can control the flavors! I love playing with different ingredients and coming up with new flavor combinations.
Another thing…nothing is better than having your husband text you in the morning, because when he leaves for work you are sound asleep, telling you that your granola is better than any he’s ever had!
I take such satisfaction in what I cook when the ones I’m cooking for love what I make.
Like today, I’m working on taking my photos for this blog post and my now two year old, oh how time flies, is standing next to me with his hand out shoveling handfuls of this delicious toasted almond dark chocolate granola into his mouth. Nothing makes me happier. The best part – what a healthy snack for a two year old!
This is such a delicious granola recipe it only takes eight simple ingredients.
Oats – coconut oil – honey – maple syrup – slivered almonds – vanilla extract – almond extract – dark chocolate
I absolutely love the subtle hit of maple syrup and vanilla in this recipe. I think you can never have too much vanilla. Unless its a vanilla candle or vanilla lotion then I think it’s way too much!
I always use old fashioned oats when I make homemade granola. That’s just my preference and I like the texture better. For this toasted almond dark chocolate granola I used silvered almonds. I always seem to learn towards the slivered almonds, but again that’s just my preference. You can absolutely use sliced almonds or chopped almonds. Whatever you have on hand will work perfectly for this delicious granola.
You can use this granola for a number of different things. I love to make yogurt parfaits, but I already told you that. My husband likes to add granola to his oatmeal. He always says oatmeal needs some crunch and this toasted almond dark chocolate granola is the perfect crunch! I also love to eat it as is for a snack. It’s a nice little pack of energy in the middle of the day. Or why not add some milk and eat it like cereal.
- 1/4 coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, chips or bar broken into little pieces
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Whisk together the melted coconut oil and honey until combined. Add in the extracts and maple syrup and whisk.
- Toss in the oats and almonds and stir well until the oats and almonds are completely coated.
- Spread the mixture out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely and mix in the dark chocolate.
- Granola can be stored in a air tight container for up to three weeks.
- After the first 30 minutes of baking keep your eye on the granola, since every oven is different you don't want to burn the granola.