Let’s visit the Islands!
Does anything get more tropical than the taste of pineapple? Not in my book. Grill that pineapple and Oh Lord, pour me a drink, get me a lounge chair and turn on some steel drum music and I’m drifting away on a cruise ship!
These tropical chicken kabobs are out of this world! My husband devoured them and my two year old is a big fan of the grilled red onion. It does help that the marinade is spectacular.
My husband and I make kabobs all the time and honestly we were getting sick of eating the same old kabobs so I took matters into my own hands and came up with these tropical chicken kabobs.
As I mentioned before the marinade for these kabobs is spectacular, and it really is. I make extra and serve it over rice, it’s that good. You probably have everything you need at home right now to make these, maybe except for the pineapple, pineapple juice and fresh ginger. Get in your car and go get what you don’t have. You have to make these today! Your family will thank you later, trust me.
The marinade is simple. Just mix pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup. fresh ginger, garlic, and olive oil in a bowl and toss in cubed chicken and you’ve just begun the wonderful trip of escaping to the islands. If only for thirty minutes during dinner.
Aren’t these kabobs pretty? The yellow pineapple, red onion, bell peppers and juicy chicken make my mouth water just looking at them.
I used red onion and red and orange bell pepper, only because I think the combination with the pineapple just looks good.
Look at those grill marks on that pineapple? OMG so yummy!
I like to serve these tropical chicken kabobs with plain white rice. That’s why I make extra marinade and reserve it for later. Just heat up the reserved marinade in a saucepan and heat to a simmer. For a thicker sauce you can add a little cornstarch. You can also serve the extra reserved marinade as a dipping sauce.
- 1-1/2 - 2 pounds chicken breast
- 1 red onion
- 2 bell peppers, any color
- 1 small pineapple
- White rice (optional)
- 6 oz. pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1-1/2 tbsp. fresh ground ginger
- 6 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients for the marinade and whisk to combine.
- Reserve 1 cup of the marinade in a separate container and place in the refrigerator.
- Cube the chicken and place in the bowl with the marinade. Mix to coat the chicken.
- Place the chicken in the refrigerator and marinade for at least 2 hours and up to 4 hours.
- Chop the red onion, bell peppers and pineapple in large pieces.
- After the chicken has finished marinating skewer the chicken, pineapple, onion and peppers.
- Brush the left over marinade over the prepared skewers.
- Grill kabobs until the chicken is cooked thru, about 10 minutes.
- While the kabobs are on the grill pour the reserved marinade into a small sauce pan and heat to a simmer, pour over white rice or serve as a dipping sauce.
- This recipe makes about 9-12 skewers.
- Cooking time will vary depending on how big your chicken pieces are.
- Make sure the marinade you pour over the rice is the marinade you reserved BEFORE you put the chicken into it.